Real-Time Tracking of Business-Critical Assets
Many companies today face the challenges of managing inventory and assets with cumbersome manual data entry processes or legacy technology, which results in the delay of critical information necessary to run an efficient operation. Without real-time visibility within key business processes, companies face the challenge of NOT having the right asset, at the right time, in the right place. Or even worse yet, losing high-value or business-critical assets.
Peak-Ryzex provides RFID solutions to eliminate manual data entry and process bottlenecks to improve the automated scanning of assets by providing real-time visibility.
Peak-Ryzex’s in-depth knowledge of best practices in the areas of distribution, warehousing, manufacturing, and asset tracking have assisted our customers in determining system justification and attaining the associated return on investment for RFID projects.
Peak-Ryzex provides a single source to insure that all components of the RFID project (hardware, software, process review and redesign, training, documentation, onsite support) are actually well-integrated components of the entire solution.
As an unbiased consultant working as an extension of your team, Peak-Ryzex observes and points out concepts and approaches that need to be discussed to insure the success of the project. Peak-Ryzex places a large emphasis on the design of the system. Our experience has shown that proper systems design is a large contributor to the total success of an RFID systems project.
The purpose of the statement of work (SOW) is to understand the customer’s business goals and to determine the business processes and technology solution required to support those goals. To verify that a proper understanding of the customers’s requirements have been communicated, a “SOW” of the customer’s future business process will be prepared and presented to the customer for approval. This SOW will finalize the detailed scope of the project, and include all operational requirements as well as the hardware, software, and services to implement that vision.
- Meetings with project stakeholders and operations managers to define targeted goals and expectations
- Read performance testing within the customer’s environment using best practices
- Tag selection, recommendations to optimize read performance and solution success
- Deliverable in the form of a written report detailing:
- Feasibility, recommended process, read point locations, and tags
- Bill of material (BOM) recommendations and estimates for an RFID Pilot
- Design of RFID pilot including desired use cases that are feasible
- Usually targets one facility or plant with a pre-defined number of read points
- The POC/Pilot is an opportunity to setup a customer-owned subset of the RFID solution in a controlled scenario in the customer’s environment. The results of this pilot will help determine the success/failure of expected goals and present an opportunity to adjust processes and expectations to achieve desired results
- Functional analysis of the customer’s site
- Gain an understanding of the customer’s project objectives
- Ensures the intended use case and business process is feasible and can be handled properly from the targeted RFID system design
- Determine optimum locations for RFID readers (dock door, conveyor, drive-through portal, shrink wrap, etc.)
- Verify assets to be tagged (items, cases, pallets, etc.)
- Technical analysis of the customer’s site and/or result of RFID POC
- The deliverable for this step is a bill of materials (BOM) and scope of work for all hardware, software, RFID tags, and services that are required. Determine number of readers, antennas, antenna cable lengths, and the proposed locations
- Determine required mounting hardware configurations for readers and antennas, brackets, enclosures, and light bars
- Determine AC Power availability and future requirements (readers, sensors, light bars, printers, HHT Stations)
- Determine host connectivity availability/requirements
- During this stage, Peak-Ryzex will also clearly outline the responsibilities of each of the parties
- Interfaces between the hardware and software are developed
- RFID software is customized according to the specifications of the SOW
- Master data load
- Number range management
- Label printing and encoding
- Fixed portal read performance, configuration adjustments
- Software functionality
The RFID System Deployment phase occurs at the customer site per the system’s design and customer’s expectations. Peak-Ryzex will send the customer a pre-installation checklist prior to arriving on site. Peak-Ryzex will then verify that the customer is ready to complete the installation.
The RFID System Deployment involves installing and configuring the RFID solution in the customer’s environment (i.e. hardware, software). The system is then tested against the system’s design to confirm results. In addition, software components are installed.
Some of the processes/objectives that may be completed during the RFID hardware & system installation are:
- Unpacking the RFID printers, readers, antennas, cables, and applicators
- Confirm with customer the:
- Mounting of RFID hardware to the mounting platforms and bracketry
- Routing and securing of the antenna, power, and data interconnection cabling
- (All installed platforms/brackets will be attached to the floor/wall/ceiling and wiring done by customer personnel)
- Assist customer in configuring the RFID hardware per the site analysis and verifying with the software that the reader and antennas are operating correctly
- Work with the customer to confirm that their application is communicating to the RFID reader via the Ethernet or serial connection
- Document RFID hardware setup and configuration in the “As Built” document
- A Peak-Ryzex engineer provides on-site and remote go-live support
- The engineer is scheduled to be on-site for a pre-determined number of days to assist with identification and resolution of any problems that may be encountered with the RFID system post go-live
- This is a risk mitigation step and provides subject matter expertise at a critical juncture of the project in order to keep a positive go-live experience
- Peak-Ryzex will provide full training for system administrators and for client’s internal “user trainers”. We focus on a “train the trainer” approach so that knowledge of the system is transferred to the client’s employees. Much of the training occurs during the pilot and implementation phases of the project followed up by final as-built documentation
- Peak-Ryzex can customize not only the training content and format, but also provide the customer the specific training documentation to suit their needs